Friday, May 15, 2015

Seasonal Beer Review


As the sun begins to shine and the weather gets warmer, we see a change in seasons—and
in our fridge.


As each new season approaches, breweries everywhere release seasonal brews. So I asked myself, what makes a seasonal and why? If it’s good enough to drink during one of the four seasons, then why isn’t it good enough for the rest of the year?


With some help from the manger at University Market, better known as the Orange Store in Corvallis, I selected three seasonal beers one from California, Washington, and, of course, Oregon.


The first beer I cracked into was Summer Solstice Ale brewed by Anderson Valley Brewing Company located in Boonville, Calif. Once this brew hits your lips it’s so good. The brewery describes it as, “Rich copper color floating a lacy, white head. Rich aroma of malt and caramel. Creamy, satin-smooth body envelops a pleasantly sweet caramel flavor with a subtle spicy hint.”


If this was my beer of choice, I’d be pissed-off that they don’t brew it year-round. I give it five out of six beers. As much as I like caramel, it’s a little rich. If the brewers came out with a slightly lighter version, it would complete the six-pack.


The second beer I previewed hails from Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Ore. Another summer seasonal, Twilight Seasonal Ale’s label states, “Down goes another brewing dogma selected malts and a hearty dose of bold Amarillo hops deliver full-on flavor and crafted nuance in a spry summer style. Enjoy chilled as the days linger.”


This is a very drinkable beer that can easily be enjoyed on a hot summer day. I give it a four out of six beers. It’s flavorful, but not flavorful enough.


The final beer I tasted was Elysian Brewing Company’s SuperFuzz Blood Orange Pale, hailing from Seattle, Wash. Many folks like a fresh squeezed orange, lime, or lemon in a beer. Elysian’s attempt at fusing orange flavors into beer failed. A fresh squeezed orange is better than this horse-piss.


Nice try Elysian, but no thanks; if I want an orange in my beer, I’ll put it there myself. In the words of my former employer Dave Hufford, “Tell em to go get f***ed,” because this beer sucks. I wouldn’t drink SuperFuzz to piss out a burning building. Elysian needs to go back to the drawing board with this one. I give it a half a beer out of six.

Seasonal beers do have a place in the fridge and that is when the freshest ingredients are available for that seasonal taste. My only advice to brewers everywhere is if it’s good enough to drink in winter, spring, summer, or fall, then it's good enough to drink year-round. So whichever season it may be, brew on.

At a glance:


What: Seasonal Beer Review.

Where: Washington, Oregon, and California.

When: Spring/Summer 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment